This is a short story collection. I like anthologies, and this one was pretty good. The stories are:
- A Separate War: the end of The Forever War told from the perspective of Marygay.
- Diminished Chord: love and music on an old harp like instrument.
- Giza: genetic engineering to enable space mining.
- Foreclosure: let’s get rid of those nasty squatters.
- Four short novels: eventually it came to pass that no one ever had to die…
- For White Hill: artists as collateral damage in an interstellar war
- Finding My Shadow: biological warfare in Boston.
- Civil Disobedience: global warming in a post Bush world.
- Memento Mori: a very short story about modern medicine.
- Faces: life as a draftee on a planet with a noxious atmosphere.
- Heartwired: viagra for the soul.
- Brochure: a badly polluted Earth reopens as a Disney resort.
- Out of Phase: a shape shifting alien learns about power on Earth, to the detriment of the Earthlings.
- Power Complex: the same shape shifting alien learns about real power.
- Fantasy for Six Electrodes and One Adrenaline Drip: a script involving love (or at least sex) and murder in a world with immersion entertainment.
[isbn: 9780441015177; 0441015174]