Ok, for those of us in the US, we’ll be glad to know that Schedules Direct is now live with two weeks to spare. It seems that the easiest way to perform the upgrade is to upgrade to 0.20.2, and then change the configuration to use SD instead of Zap2IT. Note that I haven’t done it myself yet, but that there are instructions on the MythTV wiki.
Its been a while since I have commented on the state of US guide data for MythTV here. That’s mainly been because I have been waiting for the situation to become more clear. At this stage there are some interesting things to report:
- zap2it shutdown is still slated for September 1, 2007
- MythTV developers, and others, have teamed together to form Schedules Direct as a replacement
- There are forums for Schedules Direct discussion
- Schedules Direct will be charging around $5 US a month, at least initially
- The first 100 beta testers have been added, and bugs found
- Code has been added to the development version of MythTV to start handling Schedules Direct (although you are not forced to upgrade to use the new guide data source)